Squadron History Index
No. 406 Squadron
Its Badge, a lynx saliente affronte. The lynx, an animal possessing keen sight at night typifies the unit's operational role as a night fighter squadron.
The War Years
Formed 10 May 1941 as the RCAF's first night fighter squadron at Acklington. The Squadron was initially equipped with the Bristol Blenheim Mk I and IV aircraft but after a month of in service these were replace with the Bristol Beaufighter Mk II aircraft which became operational during the summer. In February 1942 the Squadron moved to Ayr, with a detachment at Scorton. In June the whole Squadron moved to Scorton and converted to the Bristol Beaufighter VI, then moved on to Predannack in Cornwall in September and then on to Middle Wallop in December. In March 1943 went to Valley on Isle of Anglesey in the far north-west of Wales. The Squadron returned to the south-west at Exeter in November. A further move to Winkleigh in April 1944 and reequipping with deHavilland Mosquito XII's, saw the unit defending the invasion ports and achieving some success. In July Mosquito Mk XXX's replace the Mark XII's and in September they moved to Colerne to undertake training for intruder operations. Moving to Manston in late November, the intruder raids commenced in December allowing 23 air and 10 ground victories to be claimed during the last four months of the war, raising the unit's total victories in the air to 53 1/2. The Squadron used the code HU during this period. The Squadron was disbanded in England on 1 September 1945.
The Cold War
Re-formed at RCAF Station Saskatoon on 1 April 1947 where it was known as 406 Tactical Bomber Sqn (Auxiliary) and adopted title 'City of Saskatoon' on 3 September 1952. The squadron was disbanded again on April 1, 1964.
The Squadron re-formed at CFB Shearwater on 12 July 1972 as 406 Maritime Helicopter Operational Training Sqn, flying the Tracker and Sea King. Shortly after the Trackers were assigned to No. 880 Air Reserve Squadron in the Maritime/Fisheries Patrol Role.
Background: The Present
Today No. 406 Maritime Helicopter Squadron is the Helicopter Operational Training squadron for the Sikorsky CH-124 Sea King.